Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My BLACK is your BLACK is our BLACK

In keeping with Black History Month, I decided to focus on how we as people of color view ourselves and what we use to identify and define ourselves. 

Below are snippets of how we define our BLACKNESS, our world view as people of color:


“My Blackness is My Everything.
My Blackness is DOING when they said I couldn’t.
My Blackness is making Ripples in stagnant water.
My Blackness is laughing when I ought to Cry.
My Blackness is Loving Hard and Living Long.
My Blackness is Me Standing out in an Non Black Crowd, and enjoying every eyeball on me.
It is Me making a point if “they” can do it I can do it and even better.
Why? Just because it not what’s expected of Me and My Blackness.
I truly hope to utilize my “Blackness” to make a difference in this world.
Life is Sweet in my Beautiful Blackness and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I am/ We are proof that We (People of Color) can do and survive ANYTHING!!!, Simone “Shades of Ebony”


"My BLACKNESS is STRONG, SURVIVING, THRIVING, BEING.
My BLACKNESS is MY TRUTH DAILY
My BLACKNESS is CLASSY WITH A LIL SASSY
My BLACKNESS is RAISING EDUCATED MEN- CHILDREN FOR OUR NEXT GENERATION.
My BLACKNESS is LEARNING TO SHINE DURING MY DARKEST HOUR.
My BLACKNESS is NOT ALLOWING  SOCIETY TO CONTROL ME ANY MORE.
My BLACKNESS is LEARNING TO FORGIVE AND MOVE FORTH.
I  AM PROUD OF MY BLACKNESS BECAUSE MY ANCESTORS THAT CAME BEFORE ME EMBRACED THEIR BLACKNESS. My BLACKNESS is ACCEPTING WE COME IN MANY SHADES.", Natashia


"My blackness is seeking out positive energy in a world that is so negatively charged.
My blackness is embracing a skin color that both intimidates and motivates simultaneously.
My blackness is not letting the mistakes or shortcomings of my race define who I am or hope to become.
My blackness is waking up and taking a minute to breathe and savor the taste of the strength it takes to face a smiling crowd all waiting and hoping for me to fall.
I am a strong willed, strong minded beautiful creation and take pride in knowing the one thing that no one can take away from me is my blackness…", Lisa





My BLACKNESS is street smarts - education beyond what was taught in school!
My BLACKNESS is being a baby momma and yet still being a wife!
My BLACKNESS is my sassy attitude! Because no matter how right I am, the fact that I am black and what I'm saying, classes me as "the black chick!"
My BLACKNESS is being able to handle kink in my hair and make it look beautiful. :)
My BLACKNESS is fabulous.
My BLACKNESS is intelligence.
My BLACKNESS is faith.
My BLACKNESS is forgiveness.
My BLACKNESS is tenacity.
My BLACKNESS is resilience.
My BLACKNESS is REAL!, JAY BLESSED
 


"My BLACKNESS is defined by the STRENGTH of my past and the POWER of my future. The blood, sweat, and faith of our ancestors allow me ALL of the opportunities available to me today. What a privilege it is to be a Black Woman! I appreciate the freedom to be whomever I CHOOSE to be and exactly who God NEEDS me to be. My BLACKNESS is to be a daughter, sister, niece, aunt, mother, and friend to everyone in my life. Uplifting the community by being a positive influence to young people and using my strength and love to empower our Black Men. I encourage them to be the men we need them to be. Our family is so important, it is our ROCKE. (as in it is ROCK and ROCKE cause you are a product of it)",  Denise Nicole Rocke



"My Blackness is love.
My Blackness is choosing who and what I allow into my life.
My Blackness is understanding and knowing my purpose.
My Blackness is knowing that I am unique, and being happy with myself.
My Blackness is embodying a  positive, strong and beautiful woman that my Daughter can emulate.
My Blackness is accepting that life can be difficult at times, but each day presents an opportunity for a new beginning.
My Blackness is forgiving myself for past failures and mistakes without hoping that the past was different.
My Blackness is being real.", Michelle


My Blackness is welcoming, being able to accept me for who I am. My Blackness is education, keeping it real and being real. My Blackness is being able to take all my hair off and still being able to say "yes" I am a Beautiful Black woman of God.
My Blackness is being spiritual and learning more about who I am and where I came from. My Blackness is saying thank you for my Ancestors the ones who paved the way for me and millions of Black people of today and tomorrow. My Blackness is "FOREVER".......Bernie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment