Monday, February 21, 2011

Taking you Back To Basics, up close and personal with The Party Rocker himself Ricardo Gomez

Known for his ability to move a crowd with his musical mixes, his charisma and not to mention great sense of style, Ricardo Gomez takes partygoers back to basics with his skills as a deejay. He has created a name for himself as the original Party Rocker and rock any party he most certainly does.

Ricardo was raised here in the US in his early years, then moved back to Trinidad where he spent his pre-teen and teenage years. He returned to the US in 1988 and completed his college degree in Business Administration with a minor in Broadcasting. It was this minor that would ultimately determine the direction of his major career decisions. He was able to combine his background in business with his love for broadcasting to create the brand Back to Basics. He applied many of the fundamentals and basic skills that he had learned during his college years to his business, and to life in general. 

A true businessman at heart, Ricardo approaches his events with careful planning and foresight. When throwing an event, he begins by initially coming up with a concept. Then he will decide on the venue that he best sees fitting with this concept. Next he would evaluate the expenses and overall cost of the event and finally match it up to the need in the market. Then if the venture is financially feasible, its a go.

I took some time to get to know Ricardo up close and personal and here's what I found out:

1. At what age did you develop an interest in music and who/ what was your greatest influence?

I developed an interest in music at the age of 5. I grew up in a very musical home, my uncles were extremely jazz-influenced and soca was a staple in my home. I could remember hearing the likes of Mahalia Jackson and Nat King Cole in my grandparents' home and I knew about the fundamentals of Jazz before I was 8. Almost every weekend my mom and dad would have a dance with family members and friends over. They played records all night long, that was their idea of a fete, and fun was as simple as a gathering of people and good music. 

At the age 5, about 7 o'clock one morning after everyone had gone to bed, I grabbed the stereo and my hand got stuck in the A-track. It was then that I literally got stuck on music lol. This was really my first experience with music. My parents have always been supportive of my career decisions, but as you know our parents sometimes have more traditional roles in mind for us. By getting my degree and still pursuing my career as a deejay, I was able to compromise between fulfilling my calling and my parents' dream for me.

At around the age of 10-11 when I was in Trinidad some of pioneers in the deejaying arena were Dr Hyde, Teddy Mohammed, Brian Regis, and King Papa Rocky. These were the main foundation DJs when I was in primary school and I looked up to them. I didn't really aspire to be a DJ at that time but I always admired their skills. At that time I was into breakdancing, and was part of a rap group that performed on Party Time. 

Around the age of 14, I would spend my summer vacations in NY and every weekend I would diligently record and make tapes and bring them back to Trinidad with me. The DJs I followed, Marlie Marl and Red Alert, were mainly hip-hop oriented and this was the start of my fascination with the art of deejaying

I then studied under a DJ in Trinidad called Dr K and learned the basics of deejaying from him. After completing high school, I came up to the US and went to Kingsborough Community College and then to Brooklyn College. At Brooklyn College I started going to Caribbean parties and seeing the DJs in NY. These were the real catalysts in my choice to become a DJ


I remember standing in Tilden Hall one night and seeing King Chow, Mad Man Maddy and Sweet Needle Scobie and it was then that I decided that I wanted to be a DJ. Back then there were big fetes with just 3 DJs and no talking, just music. When I saw how these DJs had people in the palm of the hands simply by the music they played and without saying a word, I knew that was what I wanted to do. There was also the backyard party scene which was dominated by Supreme Team, Anonymous, and the Original GB productions. This was all in the early 1990’s. I would say that it was these DJs who had the most influence on me and made me say yes this is what I want to do

Luckily I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I got connected with Sound City, which was a Brooklyn sound system. Back then DJs had records and walked with their own sound systems. It was a perfect chemistry between myself and Sound City. As a team we dominated the Caribbean party market for about 11 years. We also pioneered doing things in the Caribbean market that had never been done before, we started using samplers and drum machines along with the DJ equipment. We also started venturing out of the NY area and played across the US and even Canada. We were part of the first group of NY DJs to play for a major band in Trinidad carnival, Barbarossa and did all of the major carnivals throughout US. Imagine we played in places like Los Angeles, Chicago, and Wyoming, places that you would never expect to have a Caribbean market. After about 11 years I decided to branch out on my own and chose the name Back to Basics and felt I wanted to take music back to basics, back to how it should be

At the end of the day, its not the name that makes the man but the man that makes the name. I realized that I could choose any name I wanted and make it a household name and brand it. I started using the name of Back to Basics at the end of 2000 and established the entity then. 

2. If you could play one genre of music all night long what would it be?

House music because I learned the art of deejaying with house music, that’s where I started back in college. I was a director with the music station at Brooklyn College. Soca was more of an underground phenomenon at that time and was not being played on the air over national radio stations. House music is my love, house, techno, rave, this is what I love. I decided though that I want to use my talent to promote my culture, so I represent by playing our music even though we as Trinidadian DJs tend to play a wide variety of music, that’s how we grew up.

3. Who is your favorite entertainer of all time?

Michael Jackson, he covers it all. I grew up on this man and the many different ways that he brings music to you. Even today we can still relate to his music. Yet for some reason his music grows with you, his music can capture a particular time period of your life. You can pick any song from him and recall a particular time in your life when that song was playing.

As far as our local artistes go, one of the pioneers of soca that I really admire is Super Blue. The way he could captivate and command a crowd back in the day was something to behold. Because I've seen how he has grown as an artiste and I've basically grown up with him, I'd have to say my favorite soca artiste is Machel Montano. I remember becoming a die-hard Machel fan when I was at a Steel Pulse concert and saw him performing with Panasonic express. This is when I was drawn to Machel’s talent and versatility. Nobody moves a crowd and does it best like Machel Montano. If I should decide to be on the other side of the fence as a patron his music and performance definitely moves me.

4. What would you say to a young person starting out who wants to pursue a career in deejaying?


Learn your craft well, love what you do, don’t do it for the wrong reasons or to be popular. Do it because you love it and you have a passion for it, do it because it draws you in. Be humble, and be open to taking suggestions, good and bad advice. Don’t play for yourself, play for the majority and learn your crowd because your crowd can change so learn how to read the crowd. It's not all about your skills, networking, humility, and personality go a long way, there are those who because of their humility would get ahead just because of their attitude.

5. What sets you apart from other DJs? What makes you successful?

Part of what I just said, again, being humble in spite of what I’ve accomplished. Being mindful of the fact that this can end any day. What I've learned is that I give my all regardless of where I am. The same way I play for 10 people is the same way I’d play for 1000. Both Rupee and Machel come to mind. I have seen them both perform with the same level of energy and enthusiasm in their performances regardless of how many fans were there. Being in touch with your fan base, every night will be different, feeling out your crowd and knowing who is there for you to play for. The minute you start playing for yourself or competing with other DJs, you are missing the point. I play for the people.

6. What's your favorite childhood memory?

Ha ha…I have so many…hmmmm….I'd say I had a great childhood and its hard for me to settle on just one memory.

7. If you could meet any person dead or alive who would it be and why?

I've always said that if there was anybody I would like to meet and I'm going way out there, I would love to sit down for a day, maybe even 2 or 3 and listen to Nelson Mandela tell me about his life. I saw how after having been imprisoned for so long and being under Apartheid law, he held no hatred and malice in his heart. I really admire that. He is a strong and truly admirable man, it would be an honor to meet him.

8. What's your greatest fear?

Failure. Believe it or not as successful as I have been in the past couple of years in terms of me doing events, I am always nervous about the outcome. Because of that fear I work harder at overcoming that fear and pushing for a successful event.

9. How do you spend your free time, if you do have any?

Very quietly. Quiet and peace are a rare luxury for me so I try to make the most of my quiet down time.

10. What legacy would you like to pass on to the future generation?

I would like it to be said that Back to Basics was one of the best DJs and that he made people happy whenever he played music. I want that when people hear me play, even if its for the couple of hours that they are in the party that my music can help transport them away from their worries and troubles. I want to be remembered as a good clean-hearted person that contributed nothing but positivity, and had a positive impact to people’s lives.

11. Boxers or briefs?

Both, depends on the mood and the level of sexiness.

Thank you so much to Back to Basics for taking the time to allow me and YOU to find out a bit more about yourself. I really enjoyed getting to know you and wish you continued success.





No comments:

Post a Comment