Monday, February 14, 2011

A Shade of her own, up close and personal with Simone Arthur

 


From the moment you meet Simone, you can't help but fall in love with her warm smile and easy going demeanor. Her commanding presence, partly due to her height (yes she is a bess "tallest" as we Trinis would say) and her engaging personality have made her one of Brooklyn's memorable partygoers and event planners. I took some time to get to really know Simone, what moves and inspires her, and here's what I learned:

1. What inspired you to start promoting events?
 
Hmmmm, I would say partying with my mom from a young age, and 
from being in the limelight. I have always made friends easily. I 
decided to take the step and try something on my own after several 
years of partying and networking. My first venture was having a 
costume section "Dons and Divas" in the popular Big and Strong 
promotions Miami Carnival band “Yellow River”. This, I would say, 
was the official launch of the name "Shades of Ebony". This was 
the first step in getting the name "Shades of Ebony" out there. My 
first party was Genesis, the beginning part 1. Of course the name  
Genesis signals the beginning. "Shades of Ebony" annual events 
include Genesis, Rapture, and for the first time this year Velvet. 

 
2. What impression would you like "Shades of Ebony" events to leave on 
its patrons?
 
I definitely want people to leave with a big smile on their faces and a 
sense of anticipation for the next upcoming event.
 
3. What skills or talents do you need to run a successful event planning 
business?
 
First and foremost, love and passion for planning events. You should 
be personable, friendly, and able to network with all walks of life.
 
4. What are some of the challenges that you face as a female event 
planner in NY?
 
Staying ahead of the competition is definitely a challenge. Also, being 
able to juggle the traditional other roles in my life – mother, student, 
employee. But at the end of the day I don’t mind doing events because  
I thoroughly enjoy doing it.  

5. Where would you like to see "Shades of Ebony" in the next 5 years? 
 
My long term goals include being able to provide event planning services 
for other clients based on a proven track record over the years and possibly 
broaden my reach to outside of the Caribbean community.

6. What is your favorite color and why
  
Hot pink cause its just sexy.
 
 
7. What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you
 
I don’t believe that anyone would be surprised by anything that I do.
 
8. What is your greatest accomplishment to date
 
I think I've done a great job in raising my son and bringing him up 
successfully to his teenage years and he is doing well. 
I am really proud of him.

9. If you could be any character in fiction who would you be and why
 
Superwoman because I want to be able to do everything, to help 
everybody. If I have the superpower of being invincible, then I  could 
be here, there and everywhere, helping everyone.  

 
10. If someone could look up your name in a dictionary, what description 
would you like to see next to it
 
Ha boy...“A bundle of joy
 
11. Favorite movie and why
 
Pretty woman” is definitely my favorite. The scene I like best in 
this movie is when they were laying in bed and she (Julia Roberts) 
finally kissed him and broke one of her established rules.
 
I'd like to thank Simone for taking the time for me and YOU to 
get to know her up close and personal. Wishing you and "Shades of Ebony"  
all the best in your future endeavors and I know this is only the beginning of great things 
to come.



 




 

 


3 comments:

  1. Photography Posing secrets...Check it out!
    http://3a453lb1p1lhjk96g6drto7m0z.hop.clickbank.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your blog by the way... Great job!

    ReplyDelete